Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fast Food Hip-Hop




A co-worker at one of the offices I hustle in said yesterday that he wished Kanye West would "shut his mouth and stick to making beats." It was kind of funny because the sentiment is nothing new. It just shows that people focus more on what Kanye says outside of the booth than what he says on wax.

Then I read a comment Kanye said on MTV, where he was talking about his opposition to "fast food" hip-hop music. You know, that brand of rap that looks and smells good, but it doesn't really nourish you and too much of it makes you sick. I think it's a great metaphor to categorically break down contemporary hip-hop music. At the end of the hip-hop day, there's fast food, home cooking, and, finally, gourmet fine dining. Here, let me demonstrate.

These are a few examples. If you disagree, don't be scared . . . leave a comment about it. Genius.



FAST FOOD


50 Cent, Nelly, Bow Wow, Remy Ma



HOME COOKING


T.I., Lil' Kim, Mobb Deep, Jadakiss



GOURMET FINE DINING


Mos Def & Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Ghostface, Jay-Z, Common


So the question becomes, which category do you "eat" from the most, and who's your favorite food?


Stay tuned, Intelligentsia . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel Randell said...

hahaha. thanks for the comments cocoa! i'm like you when i'm in the gym - got a 50 cent playlist bumping in the iPod. he's appropriate for extensive body movement and hyped activity. but to and from work i've been listening to kanye, mos def and nas. but there's room for all three categories, but too much of the first one isn't good.

your blog is dope, cocoa. we gotta get some more brothas at your spot, though! :-)

4/21/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i am soo not a hip hop head but out of all of these i would say i listen to Kanye and Common, although I love Mos Def, the only real song of his I bump is Ms Fat Booty. I do bump it most every day...does that count?

After seeing Common perform in a small venue I'm sprung...

So I guess I'm straight fine dining!

4/24/2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and for your purposes:
You cant tell me nothin special mixtape

http://www.2isp.com/u/23/

8/30/2007 3:07 PM  
Blogger Eb the Celeb said...

Dang... why 50 gotta be fast food...lol

I do eat the gourmet most... but 50 is at least homecooking

4/17/2008 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Hip-Hop Intelligentsia!


powered by Bloglet
My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, New York

Joel is a New York-based magazine journalist who has penned articles for KING, VIBE, Star, Us Weekly, Black Enterprise, XXL, and GIANT.

Powered by Blogger